Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Painting Dorset- J.W.T. Turner

A break in this week's biblical deluges found me wandering along the beach at Charmouth. Later, as I looked at the photos I'd taken, a bell rang... yes!...One of my photos had been taken from a very similar spot to that from which my old mate Turner had painted his distant view of Lyme Regis way back in 1811.
Turner made many painting tours throughout Britain and the continent. In fact he travelled almost every year and in 1811 toured the southwest producing a series of paintings which in turn were reproduced as a book of engravings entitled 'Picturesque Views of the Southern Coast of England.' Many of those Dorset landmarks; Corfe Castle, Lulworth Cove, Poole Harbour and Weymouth are still recognisable today.


Not a perfect match...Turner said sorry, he'd have another go.




No comments:

Post a Comment