Search This Blog

Friday 31 January 2014

BATTERED! The search for ultimate chippie 1

Lyme r
Fish and chips are ubiquitous; good fish and chips, like a good cream tea certainly aren't. Luckily for the world, but unluckily for my waist, I'm  undertaking a mission to discover the best Dorset has to offer. My first pick is not a million miles from my front door. The Coombe Street Fish Bar in Lyme Regis has been serving up the fried stuff for as long as I've been associated with Lyme and most of those portions seem to have been dished up by the owner, Vic. I began to wonder if he actually had legs as for years, I never saw more than his top half across the counter. Summer and winter, rain or shine, he was there  the steamy windows a glowing beacon for the hungry and chipless. 
While the owner displays true dedication, customer should display patience as every order is fresh cooked. The result being that the chips are all crunchy and the batter is all crispy. The portions are giant while  each chip is lovingly carved from real spuds rather the delivered frozen from the battery chip farm. You can choose to eat in on shabby chic Formica tables or make the world your stage and polish them off sitting on bustling seafront.

1 comment:

  1. If you eat them on the seafront watch out for the gulls, they love 'em too.

    ReplyDelete